Thursday, May 27, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - The Time Capsule - First Steps

I don't know about you but boxes, or in this case suitcases, of really cool old things tend to get me very excited.  Kind of like a little kid on Christmas Day.  I want to know what's in it now.  When presented with the Time Capsule (you can read about it here) I did take a deep breath. I was going to try and do it right.

My hands were washed; I had the digital camera handy.  As we went through the suitcase, layer by layer, I took a picture of each layer before removing the items.  Since I was going to have to put it all back, I wanted to keep the contents in order for now.

After going through the "Time Capsule," not only had my initial curiosity been satisfied but I was able to get a general understanding of this particular collection.  The next step was to write a short description including how I know that these were Frances Lowe's things, when and where they were found and how they came to be in my possession.  The book, Organizing Archival Records, A Practical Method of Arrangement and Description for Small Archives, by David W. Carmichael, has some good forms for this activity.

On Saturday, I will begin going through Frances' Time Capsule, layer by layer, describing what I found and how I will catalogue and store this collection.

Here are links to the other posts in this series as well as a couple of related articles:

The Time Capsule
First Steps
The Time Capsule's Top Layer
Part 2
Teacher's Certificate
Teacher's Certificate #2
Baby Shoes
Sewing Anyone?
Help! Do You Know What This Is?
Frances' Necklace
A Bottle of???
More Stuff To Sort
Pictures, Announcements, etc.
Pictures, Announcements, etc.
Preserving the Time Capsule
Sorting Saturday - The Time Capsule is Sorted. What I learned.
COG-Scrapbooking Your Family History! Frances Lowe
Treasure Chest Thursday-You Are My Treasures

© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum


  1. I'm so excited to see what's in there, and it's not even my family!

  2. How very exciting for you. Keep us posted as to your finds...please!