Friday, November 25, 2011

Input Needed for 2012 Genealogy Blogging Projects

Now that we are nearing the close of 2011, it’s time to begin considering goals for next year, as they relate to family history and this blog. Even though the Family Home has been cleared out and sold, there is still plenty of material to keep going for years to come. One of the things I would like to do is write some mini-series on topics that will help my readers solve their problems, while keeping with the goals of The Turning of Generations: blogging about home sources, developing questions, then researching to find answers and putting together a product of interest to future family members or historians. I need your input. What would you like to read about in 2012? Here is a list of potential topics I have come up with. Do any of them look interesting to you. Or do you have any other ideas where my "expertise" could be of help to you?

  1. How to use genealogical records to identify family photos. In this case, using my great grandparents’ homestead file to identify many of those unknown pictures in Frances Lowe’s candy boxes of pictures (that’s where she stored them, in old candy boxes!).
  2. The ongoing process of sorting and organizing the contents of the Family Home.
  3. How I am organizing and culling several generations of family photos and slides.
  4. The process of organizing, researching and telling Grandpa’s WWI story using his own letters, photos and other documents.
  5. Family lore, fact or fiction? Mom had an inheritance from a Canadian ancestor. Well the inheritance was fact but the circumstances surrounding it had to be considered lore until some solid evidence turned up, which it did. Now to follow the trail…
  6. How to go about verifying a family story. In this case, my husband’s ancestor used to have to hide from the Indians while her parents were away. Allegedly the parents were killed by Indians.
Let me know what you think! I figure this is a win, win situation. You win because you get to read about some things that interest you. I win because a project or two get completed - and there are plenty of those around here!


© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

14 comments:

  1. I love #5 and #6 Fact Finding Missions are always of interest to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy Coffin's book might be a good source of inspiration for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All sound good; my favorite is #6 - that is really a big part of what my research is aimed at doing. There were many family stories from both sides of my family - I tended not to believe most from Dad's side (most of them are turning out to be true), whereas I tended to believe the one's from Mom's side (they vary - disproven, disproven in original form, unproven).

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all sound good. I think I'd be particularly interested in the organization of slides and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number 4 - I have scanned a 200 page scrapbook of WWII, complete with orders that list men other than my father. Wonder if you have any ideas of where to put these files on the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You write em, I'll read em!

    Particularly interested in the family home contents since I feel that I am living the life of a hoarder since Man's mother died.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for number 3! I'd love to hear different organization ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think all those ideas are great! I can't wait to read about all you find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your input. It's very helpful in prioritizing projects.

    Sheri - I like that term - Fact Finding Mission!

    Carol - I know how you feel. We have used the H word around here a few times too. At least you get to pack up and head out for the winter and leave it all behind. LOL

    Anonymous - hmmmm...the only thing I can think of is to maybe contact the base they were associated with. There might be a museum there that would be interested.

    I don't know of any place on the internet but would advise to be careful due to privacy concerns for any of those WWII vets who might still be living.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle, Your topics all sound interesting. Several are pertinent to my own goals; identifying family photos, sorting and organizing papers, photos AND movies, as well as telling my grandfather's WWII story. Look forward to reading. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jen!

    Movies - I've got a few of those too.

    I'm glad to hear someone else has a war story to tell too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michelle,
    These all sound interesting and speak to some of my goals as well. I'd like to know how to organize old photos, etc. My youngest sister and I are still trying to organize our dad's stuff that he left behind--volumes of paper (his research, stories he wrote), photos, notes, letters, you-name-it; some in paper bags, stacked everywhere, very little was filed in the filing cabinet our mom bought him. I'm only able to work on it once a year when I visit our mom. I've nearly filled up that cabinet but still have loads of paper to go through. I would also like to tell his WWII story through his letters to his mother and his photos. I have some family lore that I'd like to research, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle, all those topics sound good to me. For my blog to work I have to write about what I'm interested in. If my readers find it interesting too then it works out well. I think that as long as you are enjoying what you are writing about then your readers will sense that enthusiasm and enjoy it too.

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine, Your situation sounds somewhat similar to mine. Hang in there with me and we can get through it all!

    Marian, Thank you. I agree, when people write about topics they enjoy it shines through for their readers to enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete