Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Did It! It's Over!

NaBloPoMo. National Blog Posting Month. One post every day for one month! Whew. It was enough for me. I don't know how Randy Seaver does it!

My objective really was to get rid of some of the backlog of ideas that had built up. Particularly the 52 Weeks of Genealogy and Family History. Objective accomplished - mostly. There's still a few stragglers hanging on that had to be saved for later.

What I learned: An Editorial Calendar really is your friend. At the beginning of the month I laid all the prospective posts out on the calendar. Then I proceeded to change every last one of them. Some were moved to a different day. Others were spread out over multiple days. A few ideas had to be saved for later and of course there were a few posts that just popped up and pre-empted others. Fortunately, I printed the thing out and just marked it up. The calendar is a mess now but I couldn't have done this excercise without it.

I think I will be a regular user of an Editorial Calendar now. It allows you to plan but also to be spontaneous when you need to be.

I connected with other bloggers. You never know which posts will be a hit with someone and that makes blogging fun. Sometimes your posts bring in helpful comments from readers too. Connecting with other people is fun and educational.

Hopefully I improved those writing skills at least a little.

On to December and the holidays! No, you will definitely not be seeing a post a day in December!

© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations Michelle...you accomplished something I couldn't, but then you are organized. Take a break and enjoy December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I was thinking some of the same things myself. I don't know how those bloggers who post every day do it. I also used an editorial calendar to plan out my month. I will admit I cheated just a bit. I missed three days but made the time up by writing two posts for three days later in the month. Good for you for managing a post every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your experiment and accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an accomplishment, Michelle! Great job! I would have a very hard time doing it :)

    Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a good job, well done. Sit back with a big smile and enjoy! You deserve a break

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. That is a great achievement. Having started my blog 3 months ago, I have a great respect for those who post regularly. It is not as easy as I thought

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Anne! Keep plugging away at your blog. I was told it takes a while to build a readership and it is true. You have some great material over there. Just keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, congrats to you! When you put your mind to something, it gets done, and you even learned form it! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Michelle, on a job well done! I haven't tried creating an editorial calendar yet, but based on your experience, I think it may become one of my new year's resolutions. Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle, Way to go! I was wondering the other day if you made your goal and I am so glad you did. I am catching up on my blog reading, can ou tell? I am going to have to try an editorial calendar. I haven't heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mary. Been there played the catchup game a time or two. :)

    ReplyDelete