Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank You for your Service, Dad


That's one of the few things I never got around to saying to my father.

Dad did "double duty," serving first in a Navy training program for fighter pilots in the later years of WWII. Fortunately, the war ended, the program was cancelled, and his service was no longer needed. So he was discharged.

Years ago, I asked Dad what he thought about dropping The Bomb on Japan. I didn't fully appreciate his response until recently, when I discovered some of his military and personal papers. His response was that it was the right thing to do. It saved American lives and that he would have gone in next. I now understand that he would have gone in next in a fighter plane. I hate to think about that because it could have meant that I might not be here today and my children might not be here today.

During the Korean conflict, Dad went on to serve in the Air Force in Mountain Home, Idaho. Fortunately, his life was not particularly at risk.

Thank you Dad for your willingness to serve your country not once but twice and for being willing to put your life on the line for us.

Credits:
Artwork assembled by Michelle Goodrum using My Memories Suite.

© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful post about your dad, Michelle. A brave man. Happy Veterans Day, a little late.

    ReplyDelete