Thursday, November 17, 2011

Another of My Favorite Android Apps...


Courtesy of clkr.com

A while back I wrote about my new smart phone and asked for advice about Android Apps for genealogy. GeneaPopPop of Stardust 'n' Roots responded that he had CamScanner that allows him "to take pictures of documents, crop them, save as PDF, and email to my desktop." I had heard of this app but hadn't really given it much thought since I figured the same thing could accomplished by taking a picture and editing it with the Photo Editor. GeneaPopPop spurred me to download the CamScanner and give it a try. Boy am I glad I did. Thank you GeneaPopPop for mentioning the CamScanner!!

So why is the CamScanner better than the Photo Editor for documents? Here are two reasons:

  1. It really cleans up the image making it clearer and much more readable. It looks just like the original document.
  2. If you have a multipage document, you can combine them all into one pdf file.
Fortunately, this app was free to download to my particular phone which was an added benefit. I hope this helps you if you are searching for apps for your Android. More to come...


© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

Disclaimer: I have not been paid or compensated in any way for the products mentioned in this post. I'm just expressing my opinions and experiences.

6 comments:

  1. This is nifty! I downloaded and played around with it for a while this evening. I've been using my camera to make copies of a few pages or paragraphs in reference books that can't be checked out from the library rather than taking notes or putting coins in the copier. I have arthritis in my writing hand, so it kinda hurts to write. I can also see that I'll like this app since I don't have to download anything...just email it to myself (jpg or pdf).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great to know about! I'm just in the process of scanning lots of documents, some of which are glued into a scrapbook and cannot be removed without damaging / destroying that page. Same here -- I was just going to photo it, but this sounds perfect. Thanks also for stopping my my blogiversary post. In putting this post together rapidly, I realized I cited the wrong author for the quote I used: it's E.M. Forster -- not E.B. White, so I fixed that toute suite! (and blogIversary.) Thanks for your kind words and great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, You are welcome. Also the Flip Pal scanner is awesome for scanning documents/photos that are glued into a scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, You will find that you eventually have to buy this app. I believe it allows you 50 free scans. I didn't realize that was going to happen and was in a library in South Carolina when I had to update to the licensed version. At $4.99, the licensed version is well worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up Linda. I wasn't aware of that but I agree that the licensed version will be worth the fee.

    ReplyDelete