Thursday, September 8, 2011

One Ringy Dingy on Treasure Chest Thursday

Since I seem to have telephones on my mind these days, I thought it would be fun to share the story of this old-fashioned phone that hung on the wall in the kitchen of the Family Home since my earliest memories. These days it holds a place of honor in another home of our family.

The phone hung on the wall in the kitchen where the outgoing mail and any papers Dad needed at work the next day would be placed. I can remember as a child standing on a chair, cranking the little handle to get the phone to ring before I began my conversation with my imaginary friends. The bell still works today.

I never knew where this phone came from until very recently. In a conversation with another family member, I learned the story behind the origin of this phone. Thus emphasizing the importance of talking to other family members as their experiences no doubt are different from yours.

Anyway, Sibling relayed to me that one of our grandfathers found this old phone in an old barn. The other grandfather took the phone, refinished and fixed it all up before giving it to my parents. When you turn the little handle on the side the bell still rings!

© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

2 comments:

  1. It sure looks great. Nice that BOTH your grandfathers had a part in preserving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it surely is a treasure! Great post!

    ReplyDelete