Friday, September 23, 2011

Hobbies - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & Family History

The top 8 hobbies (that I can remember) from childhood, in reverse order:

8. Weaving potholders. Brenda over at Journey to the Past reminded me of this fun hobby in her recent post.
7. Collecting shells, rocks and beach glass.
6. Collecting coins (well pennies anyway). I had one of those books with slots for each year and city where the coin was minted.
5. Growing vegetables (something Dad and I did together).
4. Walking the beach.
3. Reading: Nancy Drew and the Little House on the Prairie series were among my favorites.
2. Photography. Dad started me out with a really simple point and shoot that I had through college. Occasionally he would allow me to use his nice camera.

My number one childhood hobby that carried me into adulthood were my horses. If I start talking horses now I might not stop for a really long time, so I'll save that for another day.

Amy Coffin's series, 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & Family History is a series of blogging prompts that "invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants."

© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

2 comments:

  1. Collecting silver for adornment of self and horse seems like a good hobby. Profitable, too. Or is that Number 1a? I found some old 40's and 50's magazines in my mother's things entitled "Profitable Hobbies".
    I guess I've always engaged in ones called Enjoyable Hobbies or Money Sucking Hobbies...much to my husband's chagrin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be number 1a.

    I definitely have always engaged in Money Sucking Hobbies (including genealogy). I have to say blogging so far has been free...

    ReplyDelete