Sunday, June 27, 2010

When You Know Just Enough To Be Dangerous

It seems I've unwittingly caused myself a tinsy weensy problem. Back when I set up this blog, I also set up Google Analytics. Now I have found Analytics to be rather gratifying from the standpoint that the reports tell me that people are actually visiting and navigating around this blog.  I'm not just writing posts to myself!

The end of May, I decided to switch to a different template and patted myself on the back for successfully switching over.  The other day I took a look at Google Analytics for the first time in many weeks only to discover zero traffic! Where did everyone go?  After taking a couple of deep breaths I realized that people are still regularly commenting so they must be visiting the site and reading.

After much investigating I realized that I probably know just enough to be dangerous to myself.  Apparently there was some HTML code that I inserted in the original template way back when for Google Analytics. I don't exactly know what the code says. The instructions just said where to insert this block of code. So when the switch was made to the new template, the HTML code went away. The code has been replaced and now it looks like there is traffic once again to The Turning of Generations. I hate it when I do things like this! [Sigh]

© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

5 comments:

  1. Stuff like this is why I am so afraid to make any change to my blog; unlike you, I'd probably never be able to get things back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It certainly IS gratifying to know people are visiting our blogs! A few months ago my husband talked me into putting "Feedjit" on my blog and I'm glad I did. I have so enjoyed seeing that even people from other countries are visiting and it even tells me if someone found me through google and what terms they used to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your article interesting, and something like my problem, as I didn't think anybody was reading my blog. I didn't want a counter when I first began, but last week, decided to put one on, and I began it at #1,000. The counter sure shows that I have traffic too, and that is really nice! Now, I want to learn about Google Analytics. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear someone else is having that problem with being dangerous! I managed to mess up our blog's look by updating the parent theme without backing up my changes first (duh!). Still trying to fix it, sigh.

    Glad you're back to normal on yours.

    Pat
    genealogygals.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,
    At least know you have company. I did EXACTLY the same thing when I overhauled the society blog in February. In unison – [Sigh].

    ReplyDelete