Monday, January 23, 2012

Family History Expo - Saturday

Here are the Saturday classes I attended. I will have one final post in the next few days.

Inspiring Ways to Captivate the Non-Genealogists in Your Life with Lisa Louise Cooke
I am starting to feel like a Lisa Louise Cooke groupie. Well actually I am! I've said before, Lisa has changed my genealogy life.

In this presentation, Lisa discussed some fun projects to suck your family members in to genealogy and much more. Many of them I remembered from her early podcasts but now they have visuals, listener input, and audience participation to go with them.

I walked out of this presentation with a list of projects to potentially do (especially for the holidays) but the ideas weren't just from Lisa. Members of the audience piped in with suggestions too, proving that if you are trying to do family history at home, in isolation, on the internet only, you are missing out on many wonderful opportunities.

Let's YAP About Your Ancestors in Pictures - Colleen McHugh
Colleen covered a great deal of ground in this introductory presentation beginning with the history and progression of photography. She also covered proper storage of your photographic treasures and scanning.

Did you know that after the Joplin tornado in 2011, people found family photos lying around among the rubble and posted them on Facebook in order to reunite them with their proper owners?

How Did My Ancestors Get Into & Out of Pennsylvania, and How Can I Document Them? - Arlene Eakle

Arlene is such a wealth of information! I don't know how she does it. If you haven't heard her speak, I encourage you to do so. Not only did Arlene give us information directly related to the title of her talk but she also presented some tools to help us in our searches in any locality.

For instance, have you prepared a Summary of Contact People for the subject of your search listing the name connection to your person, place and date. Doing this will allow you to spot cross overs from one locality to another.

Colleen McHugh had a lightbulb moment when Arlene mentioned if your are working with a German surname and it starts with J, substitute the J for Tsch and look inthe indexes under T. Colleen, I hope you find your person! This is what I mean when I say you need to listen to Arlene speak. You never know when something Arlene says might apply to you!

I have a couple of loose ends to cover before ending my coverage of this year's Arizona Family History Expo. Watch for that post here in the next couple of days.

© 2012, copyright Michelle Goodrum

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great post especially the section on the posting of the photos after the tornado. What a great thing the people did. I find old photos all the time in the local antique shops and wonder where are the families of all those people and how sad to find these treasures. Thanks so much for the visit and you're welcome on the clip art. I hope you enjoy it! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete