Thursday, January 19, 2012

21COFH - Flip Pal & Magic Wand Files

This week's project is to get your files off at least one of your digital gadgets. Since the Salt Lake Institute and RootsTech ares rapidly approaching, I selected my VuPoint Magic Wand and also the Flip Pal.

As it turned out, almost all of the files on the Flip Pal had already been transferred to the laptop. I just needed to delete the files from the card on the Flip Pal. Easy.

Next I turned to the Magic Wand. This is embarassing. I won't say how long those files had been on the Magic Wand but it was from a previous research trip in 2011. That's all I'm sayin.

The scans were from several different publications. So I set up a file folder for each of the publications in the appropriate locality folder on the laptop, named the files according to my naming scheme and transferred them. Then after making sure the files had safely transferred, they were deleted from the card.

Here is where I wish Photoshop Elements could add metadata to batches of files. I do have a template set up with information that will go into every single file I add metadata too. Unfortunately, I had to individually put the citation information into each file using the Description field. UGH!

Investigating Lightroom is becoming a higher priority.

I didn't tackle the pictures from my camera this week. That is a major project that I just keep chipping away at. However, Santa did bring an Eye-Fi card so going forward all photos are automatically uploaded to the laptop. Woohoo! I still have processing to do but the uploading is done and since part of my backup plan includes automatically backing up to a cloud service, those photos are pretty safe.

© 2012, copyright Michelle Goodrum

Disclaimer: The usual, I was in no way compensated, blah, blah, blah. Every product mentioned was purchased by my family, blah, blah, blah.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got loads done. I have a "photo's to process" folder set up on my drop box. The idea being that when I get a spare 5 minutes at work I can work on that folder and not get so far behind......it kinda works, but people keep brining me actual work to do which is distracting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those photos are hard to keep up with. Just when you think you have it under control, you take a whole bunch more and you're back to square one.

      I feel your pain on the "distractions"!

      Delete
  2. The words "magic wand" and "Flip Pal" lured me in ... strangely, I've been pretty good about transferring the photos from my scanners to my laptop and even putting them into the proper folders. The part I have been bad about is editing them and adding the necessary information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your progress. Yes, LR is great for metadata and lots more. Check out the Lightroom Lab by David Marx for great help tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. I'll check out the Lightroom Lab.

      Delete