Tuesday, July 5, 2011

2011 Genealogy Resolutions - The Year's Half Over!


Photo by Pascal Blachier
used under the creative commons license.
It's hard to believe but 2011 is half over. It's time for another progress report on my genealogy resolutions for the year. So far I would say I am managing to balance them.

Research Goal:

Find and prove the identity of the parents of my gg grandfather, William H. Ballinger, who was living with his wife Lucinda and their children in Black Oak, Mahaska County, Iowa in 1856.

So far, probate and Mahaska County’s meager death records have not produced anything. Lately I’ve been looking at land records and while I have uncovered more clues, there is no direct evidence stating who William’s parents or even his siblings are.

Since I have come to the conclusion that there very likely is no record that directly states who William's parents are and that I am going to have to piece this puzzle together using indirect evidence, I have to say that I’m pretty satisfied with the progress to date. Little clues keep presenting themselves and I keep chipping away at the documents that have been uncovered.

Now I am at the point where I need to step back and set up a system to organize and analyze what has been discovered so far.

Organizational Goal:

The arrival of wave after wave of guests in the month of May forced a big push on organizing the Archival Closet. I’m happy to report that I have accomplished what I wanted to do. This doesn’t mean that everything is perfectly organized but the Roos Family Papers are in a better place and a much improved state of organization.

There is still much organizing to be done with other branches of the family as well as the family photos. But I feel I have accomplished the original goal.

Writing Goal:

Put together a "draft" of the story of Mrs. Robinson's Homestead to share with family members.

For starters, I should scan the file, all four or five hundred pages (I’m not exactly sure how big it is. It’s just really big). That will be the first bite of the elephant.

In Summary:

Organizational Goal – Accomplished
Research Goal – Still plugging along
Writing Goal – At least I’ve got the beginnings of a plan now!

We will see what the second half of the year brings.

© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for having goals and making progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the progress. I wonder how I'm doing? (Not sure I have the nerve to go back and look!)

    Pat
    genealogygals.com/blog

    ReplyDelete