Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sentimental Sunday-Garage Sale Anyone?

The point had been reached in cleaning out the family home where it was time for stuff to go away.  We borrowed and twisted the phrase, "The Prime Directive" (Star Trek) as a reminder to all of us to "make it go away."  If an item's not going to get used, remember The Prime Directive.

Easy to say until the young family from across the street came wandering over looking for a chair for their small children.  Another family member looked at me and said, "I know of a red rocking chair...remember The Prime Directive!"



The red rocking chair suddenly appeared to the oohs and ahs of two very cute little kids.  How can you say no to that?  So I took a deep breath and it was gone.  But not before they also found Dad's very old check protector. 


Believe it or not, this thing still works perfectly well.  Just insert check. Punch in the amount of the check, pull the lever and wala! out comes the check amount imprinted on the check.  When I showed the little boy across the street what this little gem can do, he was sold!

They also left with an old pair of Mom's silver sparkly pumps that the little girl kept referring to as the silver slippers. How can you not love it?

Unfortunately, my cradle did not sell.  I had steeled myself for this to go and it didn't happen! 



I am really hoping this item eventually finds a good home.  I imagine it as a place to display stuffed animals or blankets in someone's nursery.

I think these items will all go into the heirloom book so we can reminisce about the good ol' days.

Until the next sale day...

© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

1 comment:

  1. I love the little red chair, must have been hard. But, it will be loved, where ever it now lives.

    ReplyDelete