Sunday, April 15, 2012

Using OneNote as a Project Notebook - 21COFH Week 14

This week our task is to set up a "Project Notebook" to help us keep track of what we have done this year as 21st Century Organized Family Historians. I've decided to use OneNote to accumulate notes and important documentation. Here's what I did.

1. Using the OneNote notebook called Goodrum Family Archives I set up when we did our Week 5 Inventories project, I set up the following "sections" to start with.
  • Overview
  • Inventories
  • Work Flows
  • Dad's photos
  • Roos slides
  • Item Description -Box
  • Heirlooms
  • Home Movies
2. In the Overview section, in addition to the "Summary of Photo Collectios" already residing in Overview, I added the hard drive organizational scheme and file naming format from Develop a Digital Organizational Scheme-Week 2.

3. In the Inventories section I added to the inventory from Week 5 and a page for rescued albums (I haven't done anything with it yet, but I'll list the older albums that have been rescued and at least the current location). If the album was scanned I should add an inventory too.

4. The Work Flow section can contain many things. For starters, I included:
5. The sections Dad's photos, Roos slides, and Item Description-Box are all various inventories. Some of which are on the computer and others are in that 3 ring binder. When I get home those will need to be consolidated.

6. Heirlooms - I've been working on a "book" of family heirlooms for quite sometime. It contains photos, descriptions, stories and other information about our family's heirlooms. The problem is, I get behind. I'm thinking of using this section to collect the bits and pieces, including photos or links to the photos. Just thinking...

7. Home Movies - We have dozens of these and while I have begun to digitize some of them using a commercial service, there is a long way to go. I need a place to keep track of them and which ones have been digitized. For now, I've just set up a section and will work on it later.

There you have it. The beginning of a living, breathing way to manage the organization of the "family archive."


URL for this post: http://turning-of-generations.blogspot.com/2012/04/using-onenote-as-project-notebook.html

© 2012, copyright Michelle Goodrum

3 comments:

  1. I used One Note for some work related stuff but I got all mixed up and never went back. Just got frustrated and left it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to explore One Note again. I am afraid that whilst there are lots of note facilities for PC and iPad I am rather fond of a notebook and pen!

    I am way behind on the 21st Century theme, but will be catching up over the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to use One Note at work (as that's all they let us have) but I just can't get the hang of it so I'm back to my Franklin Planner! :\

    ReplyDelete