Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Look at a Cash Land Entry File - Part 7


Today's document from William Ballinger's Cash Entry file, which is really a preemption file, is a preprinted oath that has actually been signed by William himself. I have not seen this document in any "plain 'ol" cash entry files so it must be related to the fact that this is a preemption file. It is important because William signed this document. When I compare the signature from this document to the signature in the Military Bounty Land Warrant File in Mahaska County, Iowa (from the series Using Land Records to Solve Genealogical Problems), there is no doubt in my mind that this is the same individual. Also, examining the composition of this family in the 1856 Mahaska County Iowa census further confirms this (but let's not get too far off track here).

I, William H. Ballinger
do solemnly swear that I will support, protect, and defend the
Constitution and Government of the United states against all enemies, whether
domestic or foreign, and that I will bear true faith, allegiance, and loyalty to
the same, any ordinance, resolution, or law of any State Convention or Legislature
to the contrary nothwithstanding; and, further, that I do this with a full
determination, pledge, and purpose, without any mental reservation or evasion
whatsoever; and, further, that I will well and faithfully perform all the duties
which may be required of me by law. So help me God.

William H Ballenger [SEAL]    [actual signature of William]

Colorado Territory
Arrapahoe Co                 ss

Sworn and subscribed to before me, this 3d day of April 1865.

CMMle[_]necott [hard to read]
Register of the Land Office at Denver City. Co T

Previous Installations:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Subsequent Installations:
Part 8
Part 9
Summary

Artwork compliments of Free Clip Art Now
© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

No comments:

Post a Comment