Sunday, January 23, 2011

AZ Family History Expo - Part 4 - Out of the Comfort Zone

Yesterday afternoon I decided to try something new to me. Whenever I go to a conference or expo, I like to go to all of the classes. That's what conferences are for aren't they? Saturday, after lunch I decided to try something new. Play hookey! I hung around the exhibitors' hall, wrote a blog post, visited with attendees, hit some of the booths I hadn't yet had a chance to stop by (yes I made some purchases), and talk to vendors. Generally I just "went with the flow."

One of the unexpected benefits was the opportunity to visit with Dear Myrtle. We talked genealogy, of course, and about some things we have in common and then got off on Second Life. Something Ol' Myrt refers to often and a "place" I've been very intrigued by but really didn't understand conceptually. I basically got a personal tutorial on Second Life and how many genealogist interact there. It was fascinating!

My lesson learned for the afternoon: sometimes you just gotta go with the flow. You never know what wonderful opportunities might present themselves!





© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Sounds like fun. Have you dived into Second Life yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, It will probably be a bit before I dive in due to time constraints. I did come home and look at some of the videos under, "What is Second Life." Now to come up with a name (and an avatar).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful to meet you Michelle! Hope to see you in Second Life sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete