Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sorting Saturday - The Archival Closet

A while back The Family Curator did some spring cleaning which I joined in on. One day I did some preliminary work on the Archival Closet. This is what it looked like:
I'm not going to show you all of the other boxes scattered around or the piles on the guest bed...

I've finally started sorting through some of these boxes. Folks, this is going to get ugly, very ugly. There's a lot of boxes and a lot of stuff in those boxes. For the first box I tried to pick one that would be easy (and it also was only partially full so I sort of cheated). It was a mixture of photos of various sizes, negatives, travel brocures, estate papers of my great grandfather's, and the list goes on.

I've set up several boxes, one for larger photos, another for smaller photos and negatives, a manuscript box, and one for stuff that doesn't really seem to go anywhere. I've got dividers with the surnames pertinent to Dad's side of the family which is who all these boxes go with.

I have to do this in short bursts because I become overwhelmed really fast. It takes a lot to overwhelm me! I'll update you along the way...

© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I so relate, we brought home a room full of stuff from Man's mother's house in the last several weeks. I'll be chatting about my attempts to clean and organize too. I have NO idea how it will come out. SIGHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to have a commiserating partner. There's definitely a good and not so good side to saving stuff, history, whatever you want to call it :) I'll be looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. iattempted,procrastinated,now I tell myself if I get the kitchen organized, then you can do your genalogy files, since I am moving them in the small room. we'll see. I hope you guys inspire me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Digging is my favorite part! I love discovering what is in the next box! : )

    ReplyDelete