Friday, March 11, 2011

Using Land Records To Solve Genealogical Problems - Part 2

In Part 1, I explained how I located and ordered a land record file for my ancestor William H. Ballenger in Mahaska County, Iowa. In the next several posts, we will go through the file page by page.

As a side note, NARA now gives the option of ordering files like this in paper form or on a CD. I opted for the CD version since I'm trying to keep get the piles of paper under control. I was pleased with how quickly I received it.

The first document explains the law under which William obtained his property. In a nutshell, William Ballenger got his Iowa land under the February 11, 1847: ScripWarrant Act of 1847 (9 Stat. 123). The portion of this act that applies here basically states those who served in the Mexican American War received a warrant or certificate for 160 acres.

You can read the entire document if you are so inclined. Click on the image to view a larger version and then click on the back arrow button to return to this post. If the larger version isn't big enough try this tip I learned from Dick Eastman's article, "Are You Still Printing Everything?" For Windows users: hold down the Control key (Mac users hold down the Command key) and press the plus key to make it even bigger (minus key makes it smaller).

In Part 3 we'll get into the meat and potatoes of William's file.



For a full list of posts in this series, go to Using Land Records to Solve Genealogical Problems Compendium.
© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

8 comments:

  1. Just curious... what is the cost of the CD and what is the time frame from order to delivery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent question, Anonymous. The cost is $40 and that is whether you order paper or on a CD.

    I believe I received this file in less than one month. My experience is that the time frame varies. The last couple of orders were for CD and I believe both were less than a month.

    The last CD order was for a sizeable Military Pension File and NARA still got it to me in less than a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since, I have not ordered any of these, and just grabbed what was available online, I find it very interesting that you can get a CD version. LOVE THAT. Thanks, very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I learned a new trick with the Ctrl +. Who knew.

    Also, thanks for the information about the CD. I hoping to get some USCT military pension records soon and I think I will go the CD route if available in that format.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed this series and learned a lot. I read part 3 too, but for some reason, Blogger wouldn't let me comment there. You picked up so much info in this search -- I'm very impressed with your detailed research. Your next generation will surely be grateful to you. Thanks also for the referral (per Nolichucky roots) to Archive Info and Culling photos (March 12th) I can really use that info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I'm glad you are enjoying this series. There's lots more to come.

    The Archives Info article on Culling Photos is superb. I'll be referring to it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed this series and learned a lot. I read part 3 too, but for some reason, Blogger wouldn't let me comment there. You picked up so much info in this search -- I'm very impressed with your detailed research. Your next generation will surely be grateful to you. Thanks also for the referral (per Nolichucky roots) to Archive Info and Culling photos (March 12th) I can really use that info! Your approach to finding and recording your family history and documents is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete