Friday, March 4, 2011

I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too - Sounds


Photo by Michelle, ceramic witch by Mom

Week 9: Sounds. Describe any sounds that take you back to your childhood. These could be familiar songs, jingles, children playing, or something entirely different.

When I saw the prompt for this week, the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz immediately popped into my head! I'm not sure why because I'm completely over her and there are so many other interesting sounds that come to mind. But there she was so I'm going to work with it.

Like many other children, I was terrified by the Wicked Witch of the West and probably even more scared of the music that accompanied her. We would watch The Wizard of Oz every year on TV. Every year when either the music or Elba (as we now know her to be called) would enter, I would exit down the hall to my room where I would usually stick my head under a pillow until I was sure it was safe to come out. I was terrorized by her the rest of the year as well. My parents had the sound track album and Mom would occassionally play it. Off I would go in search of a pillow until that awful music was over!

I can even remember Dad making me sit through the scene when Dorothy threw the bucket of water on the witch and made her melt away. I still didn't want anything to do with that witch.

"Going so soon? I wouldn't hear of it. Why my little party's just beginning. ..." Listen here for a quick blast from the past my pretty.


52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin, of The We Tree Genealogy Blog, is a series of weekly blogging prompts in 2011to encourage you to record memories and insights about your life.


© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! I went to the Wizard of Oz theme park in the NC mountains as a child. I was terrified of the witch, too! My grandfather had to take me back behind the scenes to see that the witch was not real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was a Wizard of Oz theme park! I definitely would not have been able to handle that. But I would LOVE to now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My older daughter was about one and a half when she saw the scene where the water is thrown on the Wicked Witch, and she burst out crying - "Wicki Wee melt!"

    ReplyDelete