Friday, December 31, 2010

Ancestor Approved

The Ancestor Approved Award is still going around and I've been fortunate enough to receive it again from:

Cheri Daniels of Journeys Past
Lazylover at Slowly Being Driven Mad by the Ancestors
Dee-Burris from Shakin' the Family Tree

I can't thank them enough for thinking enough of The Turning of Generations to include it in their Ancestor Approved Award.

The Ancestor Approved Award asks that the recipient list ten things you have learned about any of your ancestors that has surprised, humbled, or enlighted you and pass the award along to ten other bloggers who you feel are doing their ancestors proud.

Surprised

My great grandfather, John Eugene Roos, established the Cheney Bakery in the young town of Cheney, Washington where my grandfather and father grew up. I have many fond memories of the time our family spent there on visits during my childhood.

My great great grandfather, Jean Nicolas Georger, had a saloon in Cheney called Nick's Place.

My great grandmother, Hulda Haun Mitchell committed suicide in Tum Tum, Washington by throwing herself in the Spokane River when her youngest child was only 10 months old.

The extended family who settled in Stillwater County, Montana during the late 1800's, is more extensive than I ever could have imagined and I am still discovering more.

Andrew Jackson's wife, Rachel Donelson is my 1st cousin six times removed.

Daniel A. Robinson, my great great grandfather, was an early settler and community leader in Boulder, Colorado. He continued service to his community when he moved to Columbus, Montana for the last few years of his life.

Humbled

My grandfather, Richard Roos, served overseas during World War I. He reported for duty just a few months after the death of his mother.

Elizabeth Haun, my great great grandmother, emigrated from Germany with her husband and young family which included my great grandmother, Hulda Haun, who was just an infant. That had to have been a challenging and difficult trip.

Enlightened

There are so many ancestors in my tree who were farmers. They contributed to the settlement of our great country by moving west and making a living off the land.

By the same token, there are also quite a few ancestors who were businessmen, leaders and contributors to their communities in a variety of ways. This includes my parents. I can't help but feel that they passed on a belief of and commitment to community service to each succeeding generation all the way down to my children. I tip my hat to them.

Here are my 10 choices for the Ancestor Approved Award.

  1. Kerry at Clue Wagon
  2. Cynthia of Heritage Zen:
  3. Tonia's Roots
  4. Donna from What's Past is Prologue
  5. Linda of Documenting the Details
  6. Carol at Reflections From The Fence
  7. Gini of Ginisology
  8. Barbara of Life From The Roots
  9. Susan at Nolichucky Roots
  10. Nancy from Sassy Jane Genealogy
© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Michelle! A couple of others gave me this award back in April, so here is my post from back then. It still applies! Ancestor Approved

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLAP CLAP CLAP, you so so so deserve this award.

    Thank you for my nomination.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michelle!

    I just read your goal post, also. Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, Thank you so much for the Ancestor Approved Award. You were kind to include me among the other wonderful bloggers. And, I'm very glad you were given one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Michelle. I wrote my list of ten recently and haven't added anything new!

    I love your list. Such varied lives leading to yours.

    ReplyDelete