Monday, August 23, 2010

Madness Monday - Note to Self on a Bakery Picture

One of the great things about having your own blog is that you can write anything you want. Including a note to yourself - a kind of bulletin board if you will. Over 10 years ago, I found this picture in my great grandmother's (Eugenie Roos) postcard album. Only somewhere along the way, I forgot just where I had seen this picture. After going through boxes and boxes and coming up empty handed, I finally gave up. Maybe I dreamed it or something. Well, it resurfaced when I was working on the postcard album rescue project!

Now for the back-story. Great Grandfather Eugene Roos was the proprietor of the Cheney Bakery in Cheney, Washington in the late 1800's and the first part of the 20th century. Before that he was a baker in Los Angeles. I don't know when or how he became a baker but he may have learned the trade as a young man in St. Louis, Missouri.

The family lore is that he owned a bakery on what is now some very prime real estate in downtown Los Angeles. Had he remained there, we would all be rich because the land became so valuable. OK, there's one small problem with this story. Had Eugene remained in Los Angeles, my grandfather would never have met my grandmother....and none of us would be around talking about it. Nevertheless, I've always been curious about where this bakery might have been located as well as where Eugene learned the baker's trade. This picture could be a clue.



Transcription:
1887
Paul Schilling
Building
Here is the old
saloon. You had a
room hear, when you were
working in the bakery. Part
of the building on one side has
been taken down.
[check mark in circle] was your room if I am
not mistaken.

First, I must remember that the photo was found in his wife, Eugenie's, album. So for all I know the note on the back could have been addressed to her. At any rate I've got a little to do list for when I get around to investigating.

Note to Self:
  • Analyze the photograph for possible clues.
  • Investigate the Paul Schilling Building - 1887 - possibly in LA or St. Louis.
  • Handwriting comparison to try and determine who wrote this note.
  • Keep an eye open for references to this building in any of Eugene's papers.
© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

2 comments:

  1. What a good mystery to solve. I'm impressed that you thought about comparing handwriting. Wouldn't it be great if you googled the name of the building and FOUND it?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE it if I could find the building by googling. I haven't yet but haven't tried very hard. I'm hoping to narrow down which city it was in by identifying who wrote the note on the back - relatives in St. Louis or relatives in LA.

    ReplyDelete