Thursday, April 8, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - WWI tags and buttons

While going through some boxes a couple of weeks ago, some interesting items turned up. 



These are my grandfather's dog tags, some buttons and a pin from a reunion.  He served with the 361st Machine Gun Infantry in WWI.  I was surprised while watching the WDYTYA episode with Matthew Broderick.  They mentioned his grandfather had fought in the Meuse Argonne offensive.  My grandfather had been involved in that battle as well only several days earlier.  I loved being able to see the area in living color.


© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

4 comments:

  1. A special collection to have. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that the dog tags have changed since WWI. Very interesting items. I have nothing in my family collections from America's involvement in WWI. My paternal grandfather fought with the Canadians. Fascinating blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful and meaningful collection! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My great-uncle's dog tags are very similar, as were mine 30 years ago - he was in the AIF killed during the Battle of Messines. My grandfather fought as a machine gunner in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, and was eventually wounded during the Arras Offensive in August 1918.

    We haven't seen the Matthew Broderick episode yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

    Regards, Brett

    ReplyDelete