Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sorting Saturday - Follow on to Photo Album Archiving & Digital Sorting or Part 4

I hadn't planned on posting another article regarding my mother's old photo album but I ran across something today that will be very useful and wanted to share it.  You can read about the photo album here in Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3.

In Part 2, I mentioned that I wanted an inventory of all of the digital file names of the pictures in the album.  What I had done was to take screen shots of the directory/file folder that listed the file names and post it into a Word document.  There is another option and it's free! 

In GenBlog's Friday Finds this week, Julie mentions a Freeware tool that she discovered at iPimento called Directory List & Print.  It allows you to export a directory to another program such as Excel or Word.  You can read the GenBlog and iPimento write up for more details. 

Using Directory List & Print, I now have an Excel spreadsheet containing the file names of the scanned images of Mom's photo album to which I can add additional information if desired.  This is much better than the screen shot copy and paste method!

If you try this free program, let me know.  I'm curious as to how others use it and how it works for them.


© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

4 comments:

  1. You are so organized! That is terrific to have all those photos in a spreadsheet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For April 17th blog. Michelle, I am going to have to print some of your information out...it is just what I need. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I am shocked to learn I hadn't been following your blog. Well, I am now and have a lot to catch up on. I love what I see on the first page already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara - Welcome! I'm glad you have found something useful. That's what we're all here for - to help each other.

    ReplyDelete