Monday, April 19, 2010

Madness Monday-Time to Pack for NGS in Salt Lake City

The NGS Conference is a week away!  It's time to start thinking about packing for a week in the world's genealogy research mecca.

For my FHL researching needs:
  • Research plan for my Ballinger family.
  • List of books to copy pages from.
  • Laptop and "periphery".
  • Flash drive to copy documents to instead of having to print them out.  I have enough stuff to tote back and forth without having to add a bunch of papers this trip.
  • Camera.  I'm going to try taking photos of book pages and maybe even of microfilm this trip.  We'll see how it works out.
  • FHL copy card.  I think I still have some money left on it from the last trip.
  • Healthy snacks.
  • Paper, pens, pencils, folder or two.
  • Yellow sheet of paper to aid in reading films
For the conference:
  • A list of books I already own so that I hopefully won't purchase any duplicates.
  • Clothing such as jackets/sweaters so I can dress in layers.
  • More healthy snacks.
  • Some really comfortable walking shoes.
In general
  • Copies of Janet Hovorka's excellent articles with suggestions on where to eat.  Hmm, there seems to be a food theme emerging here.
  • Maps of the area so I can find those yummy restaurants.
  • Great attitude and mental preparation to meet lots of new people.  After all, isn't that half the fun?

I'm sure there are some things I haven't thought of.  I still have a few days to figure it out.


© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

7 comments:

  1. Have fun! Wish I were coming along! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to meeting you, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, Have a wonderful time, I know you will. Been there 4 times, and signed up for this one in Nov., but last month cancelled out. You can email me if you want info. on the city. I'll be thinking of you. Also, my one-on-one gene. mtg. is still being held for me, you might want my slot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the deal with the yellow paper to aid in reading films? That's not a trick I know about.

    Enjoy the conference. I really want to attend an NGS conference someday but am planning to make FGS in August since I'm just 2 hours from Knoxville.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun! I do that book list thing, too, and for that very reason (same for CDs).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathryn - Looking forward to meeting you too.
    Linda-the yellow paper allegedly can make it easier to read a microfilm. It does seem to help at times.

    I'm jealous that you are going to FGS in August. I had hoped to go but doesn't look like it will work. My ancestor Abram/Abraham Low ran Low's ferry in Knoxville, oh, about a couple hundred years ago. I apparently have lots of roots there and would really like to see the area.

    Barbara - Too bad you had to cancel. I will email you if I have any questions :) Give me a couple of days to get back to you on the one on one meeting. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great trip and enjoy the conference

    ReplyDelete