Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Festival of Postcards - Geography - Monument Valley

"This edition of A Festival of Postcards is dedicated to Geography, so this is your chance to pull out all those landscape and other VINTAGE postcards depicting Earth's natural features."






This postcard of Totem Poles in Monument Valley, Utah was found among some of my parents papers.  Since they visited the Southwest in the early 1960's, I am guessing that this postcard is from that time frame. 

Monument Valley is located on the Navajo Reservation, along the Utah/Arizona border in Northeast Arizona and Southeastern Utah.  You can read more about it here.

Hubby and I visited in March of 1995 touring the valley on our own.  Someday, I would love to return and take a guided tour to some of the more remote areas of the valley.  Below is a picture we took from very nearly the same location as the postcard photo (purely by chance). 



On our visit, we were struck by several things.  While the landscape did not change much in 30+ years, we were amazed at the changes that occur in the course of a few minutes due to changes in lighting caused by moving clouds and the position of the sun.  Also, we were not aware, until driving through Monument Valley, that people live there.  It was interesting to drive along, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, and see livestock and a home.  What a beautiful place to live but also incredibly remote.

I'm happy to be able to share this vintage postcard with you and my photo taken decades later.
© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, your postcard is great. I've only been to that part of the country, but I loved it each time. Thanks for sharing this vintage postcard and your own photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this postcard. It reminds me of watching the B westerns with my Dad when I was a kid. I still like them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete