Thursday, December 30, 2010

101st Carnival of Genealogy - Genealogy Research/Writing Plan for 2011

The topic for the 101st edition of the Carnival of Genealogy is: My genealogy research/writing plan for 2011. Figure out what you think you can accomplish in 2011 and write it up on your blog.



Thanks to fM for the poster.

My plan is to find and prove the identify of the parents of my gg grandfather, William H. Ballinger, who was living with his wife Lucinda and their children in Black Oak, Mahaska County, Iowa in 1856.

I've been struggling with this for several years now and I've finally got enough information together to come up with a hypothesis. So 2011 is going to be the year I answer the question. Here's the plan.

Condensed version of known facts
  1. Living in Adams Twp., Mahaska Co, IA 1854 (IA State Census).
  2. Living in Black Oak, Mahaska Co., IA 1856 (IA State Census).
  3. Associated with John F., Samuel and Jeremiah Ballinger by proximity and business/land transactions (deeds, land maps, census records).
This is quite literally the kindergarten condensed version. I have lots more specific information and sources. if you are researching this line, please contact me.

Working Hypothesis

John F. and Catherine Ballinger were William's parents.

Research Strategy

  1. Investigate Ballingers in Mahaska County, Iowa will and probate records. I will be pulling all Ballingers that show up in order to identify or eliminate people.
  2. Finish transcribing, plotting and analyzing land records for Ballingers in Mahaska County.
Identified Sources

I have prepared a list of films that will need to be ordered from the Family History Library in order to carry out my research strategy.

This should keep me busy for quite a while. Thanks Jasia for prompting me to come up with a formal plan to accomplish this goal that has been in the works for a long time!




    © 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

    4 comments:

    1. You are SO organized! That is terrific!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Michelle, a nice article. Re your Ballinger family, I assume you have seen this on the Rev. Thomas Ballinger, probably related to your family...

      http://books.google.com/books?id=oH0UAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Mahaska+County,+Iowa&hl=en&ei=U9MjTbjUGI-t8AbbxvXFDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Ballinger&f=false

      Janice at Cow Hampshire

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you Janice! I have seen it. Both Thomas and Jesse Ballinger are on my list to investigate. I plan on leaving no stones unturned since this has not been a particularly easy family to research.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Janice, PS. I looked at this book at a library as a "real" paper book. I'm glad you gave me the link on Google Books so now I can have a copy to refer to again as needed. Thanks!!

      ReplyDelete