Friday, December 17, 2010

Advent Calendar - December 17th - Favorite Holiday Shows

With only 3 major TV networks to choose from when I was a kid growing up in the 1960s, our television holiday choices were somewhat limited, unlike today with cable TV and dozens of channels to choose from. It seems like we mostly watched the same shows in December year after year: A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Frost the Snowman, and my favorite, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. (For a trip down memory lane check out the list of US Christmas specials on wikipedia.)

I have to admit, however, the second half of Rudolph, after he ran away and came across the Abominable Snowman, was a bit more than I could take. I had to leave and hide my head under a pillow in another room until it was safe to come out. Admittedly, I missed quite a bit of Rudolph in those days. Fortunately, I outgrew my fear of the Abominable Snowman and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer remains one of my favorite holiday TV shows.

Photo by foggydave
© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

3 comments:

  1. I was scared of the Abominable Snowman too. I had to leave the room as well. Same deal with Marley's Ghost in Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol! Scary...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, does this bring back memories. We also only had three channels in many of the places where we lived, though I think in Southern California we have five.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I remember all those shows (and the three channels). I have yet to see a modern Christmas show than can compare with any of the "oldies." Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete