Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent Calendar - The Christmas Tree

Growing up we always had a real Christmas tree. It seemed like it was huge but as an adult, when I stand in our family's living room, I realize it wasn't all that tall because we didn't have tall ceilings! I was just small. We would all decorate the tree every year.


After Husband and I were living in Arizona and had a family of our own, we continued to purchase a real tree every year. It was quite the production with the entire family driving around town to all the Christmas tree lots to find the very best tree. The kids thought it was great fun and they would come home tired so it worked out wonderfully!

Over time, we realized we were waiting until closer and closer to Christmas to buy our real tree so that it wouldn't be all dried out by the time Christmas Day rolled around. We tried to do all the right things to keep our trees from drying out but the dry Arizona environment just isn't conducive to real Christmas trees. Finally, we gave in and bought a huge, beautiful, but fake tree. Now we buy a nice smelling "real" wreath to make up for the lack of a real tree.


© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

5 comments:

  1. You and I have gone the same way with the tree. One year my step mother gave me an ornament that had a pine aroma to hang in my "fake" tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your memories. Having a real wreath is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! What a great idea to have the wreath if not the real tree. I may do that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those trips to the Christmas tree lots myself. Looking back it must have driven my Mom nuts to have us all running in different directions and not being able to keep us all in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in dry areas (SoCal and Texas) and it was either artificial trees or real trees with a very short time until drying out.

    ReplyDelete