Thursday, December 2, 2010

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy - Challenge #48

This week Amy over at The We Tree Genealogy Blog asks us to:

Week 48: Examine different online tools for cataloging your personal genealogy library and keeping track of the books you read.
Several weeks ago, I set up a LibraryThing account to begin inputting all of my genealogy and family history related books. I was very surprised at how easy it was to input the books and add them to my account! For the most part, all I had to do was enter the book title. Then LibraryThing would do it's thing by finding the book and its relevant information. Now I am beginning to play around with the tags.

A feature I like is that you can print out your book list, if you feel the need. I plan on doing this before the next conference I go to so I don't make any duplicate purchases.


© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

7 comments:

  1. This is really cool - I own hundreds of books - not genealogy, fiction, but am constantly buying books I already have and then have to take them back. This could be a lifesaver for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love LibraryThing, especially because it also let you search in norwegian library-databases to find your books!

    I have both Norwegian and English/American books in my private library - and it would have been a drag if I had to put in all the norwegian books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amybean2 on LibraryThing if you want to add me as a friend. I don't know what I'd do without the site. It reminds me of the books I already have. Haven't bought a duplicate yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, You'll be my first LibraryThing friend.

    Honestly everyone, I don't know what took me so long to get on board with LibraryThing. It's so easy and helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this part of my New Year's Resolution List.... How simple, how helpful for those of us with "fading memories"... or does it come under the heading of "gluttony" when you "re-buy"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, I prefer the fading memory excuse. I can use that for anything...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just this week I bought two books on Audible.com to listen to while I do the elliptical at the gym and wouldn't you know it - I've already read 'em! My excuse is that I have read probably thousands of books over the years and the titles, authors and plots all sound the same after a while.

    ReplyDelete