- Fujitsu ScanSnap
- Magic Wand hand scanner
- Flatbed scanner
- Digital Camera
Software & Apps
- Microsoft Word (or your favorite word processor)
- Microsoft Excel (or your favorite spreadsheet)
- Microsoft OneNote
- Android - CamScanner
- Denise Levenick's Family Tree University Webinar, Organize Your Family Archive. Denise is also writing a book on the same topic so watch for it around June 2012.
- Sally Jacobs is the Practical Archivist. Her classes, Joy of Organizing Photos and Photo Savers were excellent.
- Taylor, Maureen A. Preserving Your Family Photographs. Cincinatti, Ohio: Betterway Books, 2001.
- Sturdevant, Katherine Scott . Organizing & Preserving Your Heirloom Documents. Cincinatti, Ohio: Betterway Books, 2002.
- David W. Carmicheal, Organizing Archival Records: A Practical Method of Arrangement & Description for Small Archives, Second Edition. Lanham, MD: Altamira Press, 2004.
- Mannon, Melissa. The Unofficial Family Archivist: A Guide for Creating and Maintaining Family Papers, Photographs, and Memorabilia. 2011.
Blogs, Podcasts and Videos
- Sassy Jane Genealogy blog regularly has helpful advice and points me to very helpful resources including #18...
- Library of Congress, Personal Archiving.
- Dear Myrtle's Organizing Checklists are very helpful.
- Genealogy Gems Podcast and Youtube video, Organize Your Hard Drive. Also her two part podcast Family History Episode 32: Genealogical Hard Drive Organization and Part 2.
- Archival Suppliers: Gaylord is my favorite right now but there are a number of good ones out there. Having had a bad experiences with one supplier (Light Impressions) in the past, I don't want to name any that I haven't used.
Bonus Resource: You, my Wonderful Readers! What tools and resources do you recommend?
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated or associated in any way with the above listed products. They were all purchased with my hard earned money or were free to begin with (in the case of the blogs). Also, I linked some of the above products to Amazon.com for simplicity. I am not affiliated with Amazon and there are plenty of other places to obtain those products.
© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum