Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Saguaro Blossoms - Wordless Wednesday

Every spring, in the southwest, the saguaro cactus blooms for a short period each day. The flowers typically will open up each morning and close as the afternoon wears on. Since the saguaro is so tall, it's difficult to get close enough to get a photo of this  annual event. However, we have one growing right next to our house that is how old enough to have some blooms. I was able to convince Husband to climb up on the roof for some pictures.




© 2011, copyright Michelle Goodrum

4 comments:

  1. So, THAT is what they look like?? Beautiful. Thanks Husband for climbing on the roof!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! I live saguaro but have never seen them blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this. One of my most memorable trips was camping in the Sonora Desert in AZ back in the 70s. it was spring and the rains had come. The deserts was abloom -- I felt as if I'd been shrunk and placed in a desert terrarium (such was the exotic nature of my experience). Some fishook cacti had about eleven-twelve blooms crowding its small crown. The desert is a glorious place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed your "desert terrarium" experience. It only took me 15 years of living in the Phoenix area to realize how beautiful and exotic the desert really is!

    ReplyDelete