Monday, May 3, 2010

Madness Monday- Final Thoughts on the NGS Conference

Now that I'm back home, I've got a day to get caught up before heading out on another trip.  I wanted to put down my final thoughts while they are still fresh in my mind.

As a first time national conference attendee and newbie blogger, my goals were:
  • Education
  • Networking with other genealogists and bloggers
  • Research at the FHL
Those goals were met and exceeded.  I will be absorbing and assimilating notes from the sessions and FHL research for weeks to come.  The networking and social aspect was fantastic.  I met many fun and interesting people during the week. 

I was particularly honored to be able to dine with or otherwise extensively visit with the following bloggers:

AC Ivory - Find My Ancestor
Amy Urman - The Genealogy Search
Donna Pointowski - What's Past is Prologue
Deborah Large Fox - Irish Genealogy: Help! The Faery Folk Hid My Ancestors!

During the week I also met the following bloggers (in no particular order):

Denise Levenick - The Family Curator
Randy Seaver - Genea-Musings
Kathryn Doyle - California Genealogical Society & Library
Diane Haddad - Genealogy Insider
Mary Clement Douglas -Notes That Matter
The Ancestry Insider - The Ancestry Insider
Steve Danko - Steve's Genealogy Blog
Sheri Fenley - The Educated Genealogist
George Morgan - The Genealogy Guys Podcast

Check out their blogs and see what they had to say about the conference.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the way the conference was run.  Sessions were on time, there were plenty of designated people around to ask for help or directions if needed, the banquets were great from the standpoint of food, service and speakers, the exhibitor hall was fantastic, the dining/cafeteria area was never overly busy and from what I heard the food offered was good (expensive but good).  I really have no criticisms of anything.  OK, the weather didn't cooperate but then I wasn't exactly there for the weather either.

I only have two regrets:
  1. I didn't attend the "Celebration of Family History."  I am a huge fan of David McCullough and had been looking forward to hearing him speak.  Alas, hunger and exhaustion had taken over.
  2. I did not attend the group viewing of "Who Do You Think You Are" on Friday night.  It would have been another great opportunity to meet some fellow bloggers.  The exhaustion thing was creeping in once again and since I had to check out of my room first thing Saturday morning, the suitcase was calling to be packed earlier rather than later.
Overall,  I am glad I went and will jump at the opportunity to attend another conference in the future.  I encourage you to do the same if you are able.

© 2010, copyright Michelle Goodrum

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your conference re-caps and for listing the other bloggers who were there. You all did a great job of covering the action for those of us who couldn't go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful spending time with you at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having fun myself reading what everyone else experienced this past week. It was different for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a wonderful time, there is so much to see and do there, and I'm not surprised you couldn't do it all. Thanks for the re-caps. Also, the grocery store is where?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, The grocery story is a couple of miles away. The Plaza has a shuttle and they were VERY happy to take me there. I noticed several other hotels had the same type of service as well. It's a service I won't hesitate to use again!

    ReplyDelete